[nflug] Forged mail header bounces up exponentially

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Tue Apr 29 09:46:22 EDT 2008

This is a good place to start though the document is a few years old.
http://www.postfix.org/BACKSCATTER_README.html

On my internet MX servers the Postfix UCE policy I've configured is very
restrictive, basically is the connecting host isn't following the RFC's
I reject email. Because I'm not an ISP I'm allowed to be more
restrictive with what I allow in and I also have the backing of
management on this policy which is vitally important. In instances when
mail is being bounced from a legitimate sender we work with the senders
IT staff to "fix their problem", and it's always their problem! Usually
the problem is improperly configured DNS entries.

Some of the Postfix main.cf values I've set. If you want further
information on the various values drop them into the search engine at
http://www.postfix.org.

smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access,
reject_unknown_sender_domain
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, reject_unknown_client
smtpd_helo_required = yes
smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, reject_invalid_hostname
strict_rfc821_envelopes = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
         reject_non_fqdn_sender,
         reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
         reject_unknown_sender_domain,
         reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
         permit_mynetworks,
         reject_unauth_destination,
         reject_unauth_pipelining,
         reject_invalid_hostname,
         reject_non_fqdn_hostname,
         reject_rbl_client       sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
         reject_rbl_client       list.dsbl.org
         permit