That's the reason (WAS Re: [nflug] feisty, indeed)

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue May 8 19:58:51 EDT 2007

JJ Neff wrote:

> More info needed. Are you going to make room for an ntfs partition on
> this drive and then xp install to that?
>

> My desired end result is a 30 GB or so partition (or even a partition on a USB disk) that is NTFS that I can then install to.  I created a partititon in Linux for NTFS - booted into XP install disk and chose the previosuly created partition - the install seemed to ignore my request and wanted to go after hda1 (the ntfs partition was like 9 on hda since I have a bunch of 20 GB partitions I add and remove to LVMS.
>
> I BELIEVE that I can use some type of load chaining or map command in GRUB to trick windows install into thinking the partition I point to (hd0,9) is really (hd0,0) or something.  That way it will show up as C:\ in the XP installer - almsot all the docs online assume you have windows installed First!
>
> Bleah
>
> JJ

the mapping is only needed if your on another drive entirely, so that
windows will boot from it, a stanza for xp booting from another drive
say, hdb would look like this (assuming you have grub installed to the
mbr of hda)
title    Windows pooched
root   (hd1,0) first partition of second drive
map   (hd0) (hd1)
map   (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1
makeactive

If it were on the same drive, you would only need the chainloader and
makeactive syntax
title    Windows pooched
root   (hd1,0) first partition of second drive
chainloader +1
makeactive

I have never tried an install of windows that didnt start out on the
first partition but you bring an interesting point with the chainloader
command, I would check out the man page on grub for that one.