[nflug] #*!%@ intel crap!!!! SOLVED **** NOT

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Nov 14 14:18:04 EST 2006

Cyber Source wrote:
> Boice wrote:
>
>> Cyber Source wrote:
>>

>>> Wow, after much much goolgeage.....The little trick seems to be
>>> acpi=ht as a kernel boot argument. What a pain-in-the-***!!!!!!!
>>> At least it has sound now, nothing worse than taking someones smokin
>>> toshiba laptop with 17" wide screen, 2GB ram, etc., and saying, oh
>>> every thing works good, wireless, etc., but no sound..
>>> Freakin intel #%*!
>>>

>> Congratulations!
>> I know my own frustrations with odd problems at times, and am glad this
>> [finally] is one that you can put in the "win" column.
>>
>> Please accept this virtual bottle of champagne to celebrate your victory.
>> [pop!]
>>

>> --John
>>

> Nothin sweeter than finally figuring out some pain in the ass
> problem....Gotta love it.

Well I can put the champagne away. Adding acpi=ht disables all acpi
functions except hyper threading, including stuff like battery
monitoring, etc., which on a laptop is pretty useful. So, I am stuck
between working battery or working sound, WTF!!!! I tie this all down to
the POS phoenix BIOS on this thing, IF you can call it a BIOS, it is SO
simplistic it's not funny. I did see in the interrupts that the hda
intel device is the only device listed as PCI-MSI and not IO-APIC like
everything else. If anyone knows of some easy tricks for apic or apci
for the kernel boot options, please let me know (no way I'm attempting a
kernel recompile, as seems that most googleage suggests). Some magic
command line that would make the sound and battery work in this thing
would be wonderful.