[nflug] Free Linux CDs

Susan M. Beebe smbeebe at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 16:21:33 EDT 2006

Hey, Thanks for the tip on the free CDs!

I just requested the latest KNOPPIX CD. I have the older 3.3 version, which
as saved my rear on more than 1 occasion!  Knoppix is fantastic cuz it's a
bootable Linux O/S that works great when your WinX box goes on the fritz.
Also works great on weird HDDs.  For example, you can boot off of the
Knoppix CD and  - if your lucky! - quickly save the all the non-corrupted
data before the HDD actually crashes (copying can be slow!, but worth it
when your customer really whines for it).  Also, you can mount an external
USB pen drive, or better yet just connect to your local LAN and download the
failing drive's data.  I love Knoppix and everyone I've introduced it to
loves it too.  Go get it!!

Alternatively for HDD data recovery/diagnostics, you can just go use Spin
Rite 6.0 (not Linux, but cool!) and save yourself even more time.

Susan M. Beebe

MCSE: Security and Messaging

MCSA: Security and Messaging

smbeebe at gmail.com