[nflug] Increasing Partition Size on Solaris...

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Thu Aug 3 12:36:23 EDT 2006

When we last left our adventurers...

> Does anyone have any (Solaris) documentation for increasing the size of
> a partition, using space that is unassigned on the disk?
>
> For example, if I have 10 gigs unassigned, and /var only has 4 gigs,
> how can I add that 10 gigs to /var

QTParted would be awesome. But, there are a
couple of "if's" here. IF its an x86 chip and IF qtparted supports UFS now
then you could do it. Is it a sparc chip? I did a quick search for a
bootable linux cd for sparc. But only found a gentoo bootcd

ftp://cs.ubishops.ca/pub/gentoo/releases/sparc/2006.0

Which probably doesn't have all of the appropriate tools. Also, the only
information I found on qtparted and UFS is a few years old. And at that
point it didn't support UFS.

qtparted would be the EASIEST way to do it. But it does look like you can
do it the Sun way:

http://www.netapp.com/library/tr/3294.pdf
http://www.computing.net/solaris/wwwboard/forum/4116.html

...which is the opposite of the easiest way. I recomend backing up if you
care about anything on the disk :)

-Josh