[nflug] cdrecord and 2.6

Greg Neumann DadNeumann at verizon.net
Wed Dec 21 14:58:58 EST 2005

Very nice! I've been puzzled by the "IDE-SCSI" kernel parameters being
"depricated" in 2.6.x kernels, and I knew that Linus hates the whole
"IDE-SCSI" thing as inelegant. I also was having trouble w/ the
CD-Record problems, and not being a coder, the disputes between Linus
and Jorge seemed way too esoteric and obscure for me. My solution has
been to have a 2.4.x kernel just for CD-Record, and now I think I see
the way clear to try it w/ the 2.6.x series again. While I didn't get
involved in the discussion, I was following it closely.
Thanks,
-Greg
Josh Johnson wrote:
> I can't remember who originally posted their problem a few weeks ago with cdrecord and the 2.6 kernel
(possibly a gentoo user). I've had problems with cdrecord since 2.6.
Finally I think I got it:
I took out all of my kernel stuff relating to scsi (since I don't use
any scsi devices)
and scsi emulation (This may not actually be completely necessary).
And I removed the kernel cmd line "hdc=ide-scsi" (/dev/hdc being my
ATAPI cd recorder)
(which I think was quite necessary. But I've been wrong before).
But "cdrecord -scanbus" doesn't show any devices! Oh no!
After doing some man page searching I did "cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus"
and came up
with an ATAPI device on "1,0,0" (yippee)!
So I made my iso filesystem and did "cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=ATA:1,0,0
-isosize dad.raw"
and it worked! I have yet to try this with audio but I'd have to
assume that it would work.