[nflug] pdf server printer error access denied

anthonyriga torrodimerda at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 13:04:24 EST 2005

I setup a pdf  server on a Fedora 4 box using Ghostscript and samba where users can convert documents to  pdfs and the converted pdfs get dropped into a folder. Thhis saves costly money for Adobes pdf writer for our company for 50 or so users and licenses. This works using linux but when I connect the printer from Windows I am getting unable to connect access is denied. I get the printer driver to install wich is just a ps printer that I pick in windows.This is the script that im using to do the conversion and the smb.conf file any suggestions? I have seen this work before with other compnays that have set this up but I must be missing someting. Anyone else ever set something like this up with advice?

DATE=`date +%b%d-%H%M%S`

# Directory in which to place the output
# Be sure this directory exists and is writable by the user that Samba
# is running as (for example, the nobody user)
OUTDIR=/shr/pdfdropbox

ps2pdf $1 $OUTDIR/$DATE.temp
mv $OUTDIR/$DATE.temp $OUTDIR/$DATE.pdf
rm $1

; Set up a public share, this will be used to retrieve PDFs
; The name of the share will be seen as "shr" by Windows users
[shr]
   path = /shr
   browseable = yes
   writeable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   force user = nobody

; Set up our PDF-creation print service
[pdf]
   path = /tmp
   printable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   print command = /usr/bin/printpdf %s

   ; There is no need to support listing or removing print jobs,
   ; since the server begins to process them as soon as they arrive.
   ; So, we set the lpq (list queued jobs) and lprm (remove jobs in queue)
   ; commands to be empty.
   lpq command =
   lprm command =

http://mail.yahoo.com