NFS question

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 22:46:09 EDT 2005

--- Stephen Burke <qfwfq at adelphia.net> wrote:

> Thanks all for the advice.
> I tried the /etc/hosts trick with no luck:
>
> (try "mount ip_of_server:/home /mnt/home  replace "ip_of_server" with its IP
> address (i.e .192.168.0.10)
> You can use a name if you add a host alias of hte server in /etc/hosts
> i.e. in /etc/hosts add:
> 192.168.0.10 nfs-server"
> Then you could use "mount nfs-server:/home /mnt/home"
>
> Dave J. Andruczyk)
>
> and it still gives me mount: RPC: Remote system error - No route to host
>
> should I get rid of that line in /etc/hosts now? does it matter?
> all adresses are dhcp from the router.

No,  but if you added the line you should be able to ping it by the name you
used in the hosts file.  if that works the entry is OK and can be left alone..

the RPC error sounds a lot like portmap isn't running . (needs to be running on
the NFS server  AND the client)  ("service portmap start", or
"/etc/init.d/portmap start")

Make sure the client can ping the server AND the server can ping the client.
(check to make sure there's no firewall rules at BOTH ENDS.)

Dave J. Andruczyk