Kernel compile problems

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 16:59:26 EDT 2003

--- "Kevin E. Glosser" <keg at adelphia.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 13:52, Dave Andruczyk wrote:
> > initial ramdisks are ONLY needed
>
> I find it interesting that the Redhat 9.0 installer opts for using this.
> Any idea why? Does it need it for installation purposes? When I rebuilt
> my kernel afterwards, I decided to get rid of it.

I think redhat just does it mainly for historical reasons. ( I think they were
one of the first to use initrd), and so they can build a GeneralPurpose kernel
that works on the widest range of systems and only require mkinitrd to be run
at the end of install (once all HW is detected) this way for people with SCSI
systems (like me) all the SCSI drivers don't have to be built in (which makes
the kernel prohibitively large)

If you only have one or two boxes and you like to "roll your own" kernel, then
in many cases the initial ramdisk isn't a requirement.  IT just makes the
distro vendor's job easier. (Only one kernel package needed, just need to make
sure to run the right set of scripts to get the initrd done right)

> Speaking of rebuilding kernels(something I've always played around
> with), wouldn't it be cool to have a detailed explanation of EVERY
> SINGLE kernel option that one encounters when they do a "make
> xconfig/menuconfig/config"?? The help that comes with these options, I
> often find lacking. And I am sure, there are a couple things compiled
> into my kernels that I don't need. Simply because, the explanation was
> too vague or said nothing at all.
>
> Some of the options get fairly technical, and the ones that bother me
> most, are the archaic bug fix drivers that you never know if you need
> anymore. "Such and such fixes a bug in x86 motherboards..." Great, at
> what point was that actually fixed in the hardware and I can stop
> including it, cause i don't need it?? Sigh.

Sounds like a good enough idea.  Most coders (myself included), tend to do
documentation last (sometimes if at all...), so I see where the problem lies...
Might be good if the patch coordinators would not allow a patch unless it comes
in with adequate docs (esp if it is an optional component)

> > Dave J. Andruczyk
>
> Why can't I see your name and NOT think of former Sabres winger Dave
> Andreychuk?? :)

Most people see my name and pronounce it like his as well. But I don't play
hockey,  probably never will.... :),  it's more like (Ann-drew-zick in
poor-mans phonetics... )

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk