Updating Software and Distro

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrognet.net
Tue Jul 9 18:47:56 EDT 2002

I grabbed a bunch of rpms, and got dependency errors knocked down to
a list of shared object files - so much for Evolution. Mandrake 8.2
is the obvious answer.

I accidently opened the "Mandrake Online" icon, and they want me to
register for updates, but it sounded perilously close to "This just
isn't all good..." [spooky timing], so I just hit QUIT.
Also, in Control Center's Software Manager, I never bothered with
Mandrake Update, because this machine didn't have access to WWW until
a few weeks ago.
Should I go ahead and set these utilities up ?
Any caveats ?
I remember John Neff said something about not letting Mandrake Update
fool with your kernel.

The system is a stand alone [not networked] dual boot desk top
machine on Dial Up [ the only time it's connected is when I'm
surfing, or sending + receiving email], with me as the sole user
[actually me as 2 users, logged on singly, one in KDE and one in
GNOME, because I'm figuring out how permissions work]. The linux is
Mandrake 8.1 as it came from the install CDs.

Regarding upgrading the distro to a newer version, I actually found a
HOW-TO, dated ~1999, that said basically to backup /home, reformat
everything else, then do the install ! That sounded like "washing
Windows". Hopefully, by now, you can install a newer distribution
OVER another [like a Mandrake over a Mandrake, a Red Hat over a Red
Hat, nothing cross-platform], because I've put a lot of custom icons,
wallpapers, and such in various places down in /usr/share.

What did those of you who went to v8.2 backup before you did the
upgrade ? Was /home even touched ?
--
S. Lawton

Kmail 1.3.1