Password weirdness in Mandrake 8.1

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 16 07:02:13 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "JJ Neff" <jjneff at yahoo.com>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 3:43 PM
Subject: Password weirdness in Mandrake 8.1

> I changed my password in RXVT su'd root.  All was well I logged in and out
> multiple times.
>
> Assume my password is <password>1
> When my screen goes to screen saver (blank screen) which is password
protected.
>  I can type <password>1 and get to my desktop
> BUT I can also type <password>  (1 omitted on purpose) and still get in...
>
> Any ideas why the 1 seems to be optional?
>
> JJN

< __________________snip________________________________>

Hi John

Have not had any problems (yet) like the one your having although I am not
messing around with settings.
I just don't want to screew up the installation thats working good! If you
could at the meeting please
explain the reason for the password change why it was done, how it was done,
and anything else that pertains.
I'm still trying to understand how to use Linux; you know the in's and out's
of the beast. It seams to have been
tweaked out a little than 8.0 which I am also using on another box dual
booting (two HDD's) with
NT Workstation 4.0.  8.1 is on its own. A nice box. Much faster! Say I'm
able to use one more box for yet
maybe another flavor of Linux got any suggestions? Although it will have to
dual boot (two HDD's)
with Windows 98SE v2.

Well see you at the meeting. Talk to ya then:)

Ron