Distro

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 11:58:54 EDT 2002

'inetd.conf' only works if you're using 'inetd', not 'xinetd'.  If you have
'xinetd', you have to create a file called 'swat' in /etc/xinetd.d and put in
the right options:

# default: on
#              to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \
#              connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
service swat
{
        port    = 901
        socket_type     = stream
        wait    = no
        only_from = localhost
        user    = root
        server  = /usr/sbin/swat
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable = no
}

So there! PTHPTHPTHPTH!! :-P
:-)

Cheers!

Bob

--- Robert Dege <rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU> wrote:

> > Does anyone know where I can get a better copy of 7.2 without problems.
> > I installed mine 3 times and the the start menu and tool bar dosent show
>
> Have you tried physically adjusting the screen on your monitor?  It might
> be possible that the toolbar is there, but that the way the monitor was
> detected, that your vertical size might be too high, thus moving the
> toolbar off the screen?
>
> Or maybe its a problem with relation to virutal desktop size vs actual
> screen size resolution.
>
> > up. For now I am using KDE which is alot better . I tried everything to
> > get SWAT to work and  it still wont open the port 901.
>
> An excerpt from the SAMBA README:
>
> Running via inetd
> -----------------
>
> You then need to edit your /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services to enable
> SWAT to be launched via inetd.
>
> In /etc/services you need to add a line like this:
>
> swat            901/tcp
>
> the choice of port number isn't really important except that it should
> be less than 1024 and not currently used (using a number above 1024
> presents an obscure security hole depending on the implementation
> details of your inetd daemon).
>
> In /etc/inetd.conf you should add a line like this:
>
> swat    stream  tcp     nowait.400  root    /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat
>
> One you have edited /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf you need to send
> a HUP signal to inetd. On many systems "killall -1 inetd" will do this
> on others you will need to use "kill -1 PID" where PID is the process
> ID of the inetd daemon.
>

> Launching
> ---------
>
> To launch SWAT just run your favourite web browser and point it at
> http://localhost:901/
>
> Note that you can attach to SWAT from any IP connected machine but
> connecting from a remote machine leaves your connection open to
> password sniffing as passwords will be sent in the clear over the
> wire.
>
> You should be prompted for a username/password when you connect. You
> will need to provide the username "root" and the correct root
> password.
>

> ==========================
>
> Basically, if you encountered no errors with the installation with
> Mandrake 7.2, then a new set of CD's probably won't help.  This is
> what separates Linux from Windows.  If something crashes, you don't always
> need to reboot.  If something doesn't work right away, you don't
> neccesarily need to reformat (of course, it depends upon the severity, but
> you know what I mean ;)
>
> Dege
>
> So Many Things in Life Would Be Really Funny
> .... If They Weren't Happening To Me

=====
Bob Meyer
Knightwing Communications, Inc.